In his letter to the members on August 21st, Local President Richard Moore outlined the Union’s vision for the UW International and English Language Programs.
“In our vision of the department:
- We have a salary step system that consistently provides a basic increase to reward the work and commitment to the department.
- We give everyone a fair raise starting this year.
- We reward excellence with merit increases when available.
- We reward experience not only for any future teacher but more importantly for those of us who are here now.
- We are treated fairly. We are paid fully for summer quarter and we are paid at least the minimum UW says we should be paid.
- We are allowed to attend that one-off special family event without forfeiting a day’s pay. Just like our TA colleagues.
- We work together and build on the strengths of the department to continue its success.
- We ensure new members of our faculty are given the support they need to succeed.
- We commit to our students and the UW and in return the UW commits to providing job security and ongoing employment, and a transparent and objective method for assigning hours.”
The full text of President Moore’s letter is available here (pdf).