The organization exists to build among its members the power of solidarity and collective action to influence all matters affecting their professional practice, to uphold quality in the institution in which they work, to create excellent working conditions and to align with other workers in the quest for economic and social justice. Specifically, the purpose of this organization shall be:
- To secure full trade union rights, including the rights to exclusive recognition and collective bargaining, for all faculty who are eligible for membership.
- To advance the economic, social, and political well-being of the faculty.
- To promote the improvement of standards in the employment situation of the faculty.
- To encourage mutual understanding and cooperation among the faculty.
- To promote the interests of those who are served by the faculty.
- To promote the effectiveness and quality of the educational programs in which our faculty teach.
- To support efforts to organize workers in related fields.
- To promote strong membership involvement.
University of Washington English Language Faculty – AFT Local 6486